Monday, November 15, 2010

hazy mist of solitude

My co-worker is gone temporarily (five weeks). Conclusion: I can play my music VERY loudly in the lab. Yesss...this will make all the experiments I need to run much more fun to do.

And at home, the tiring pace continues. We tackled a giant to-do list this weekend, working furiously through several meals and (on Saturday) well into the early morning. We kept ourselves amused by imagining the pie we would eat at the local trucker's restaurant and we were crushed when we cruised up to the restaurant at 3 am on Sunday morning to find it closed. Noo!! Stale coffee shop baguette sandwiches were the only thing available around the clock, so we chewed our sandwiches in silence. That'll teach us for working so hard.

We worked on the outside of the house, removing the last of the siding, framing windows & installing wind barrier Typar paper (covered in lattice in preparation for new exterior finish). I didn't take any pictures of the interior work we did - removing all the lathe and plaster from our front entry. No more plaster work until next year!! Yay!


And Sunday afternoon was the big event - culling the roosters from our flock. I did the actual slitting of throats, a big step for someone who hasn't even killed a fish before. My great-grandmother did it, my grandfather did it, I would do it too = prepare meat for eating the old-fashioned way. And I decided if I were to die, a sun-speckled orchard on a beautiful fall day would be one of the nicest locations I might pick.

This is where we set up the for rooster processing. Killing cone attached to the old Spruce tree on the left and plastic covered work table just behind it, set up in the grass among the hundred year old apple trees.
Just across the bridge, the fire pit & cauldron were prepared for de-feathering the birds.

All in all we had three roosters found their way to our freezer yesterday. At the pace we are working, combined with the lack of sleep and the season, I'm sure their services will be needed in the form of chicken soup very soon. I just hope we have the heat turned on by then because having a cold in a cold house suuuuucks.

No comments: